My photo
Shop 139, Irene Village Mall. Cnr. Nellmapius and Pierre Van Reyneveld Roads. Irene. Centurion.Gauteng. Republic of South Africa. Monday-Thursday : 09:00 - 19:00 Friday : 09 : 00 - 20 : 00 Saturday : 08 : 00 - 18 : 00 Sunday : 09 : 00 - 17 : 00 Telephone : 27 (0)12 662 2829 E-Mail : tallstories@megaweb.co.za There is no substitute for knowledge. Tall Stories is a book shop offering fine books for discerning readers. We sell only the best books: collectables, africana, publishers overstocks and quality pre-loved books. We also buy good books, every day of the week. Come to us for that elusive africana you have been searching for - be it botany, travel, hunting, zoology or other. Impress your friends with your collection of Dostoevsky and Murakami. We accept Visa, AMEX. and Mastercard

Friday, November 11, 2011

World War I Poetry

Siegfried Sassoon

Suicide in the Trenches

I knew a simple soldier boy
Who grinned at life in empty joy,
Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
And whistled early with the lark.
In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
He put a bullet through his brain.
No one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

In Flanders Field

by

John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.


We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie,

In Flanders fields.


Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Siegfried Sassoon: Declaration against the War


I am making this statement as an act of wilful defiance of military authority, because I believe that the War is being deliberately prolonged by those who have the power to end it. I am a soldier, convinced that I am acting on behalf of soldiers. I believe that this War, on which I entered as a war of defense and liberation, has now become a war of aggression and conquest. I believe that the purpose for which I and my fellow soldiers entered upon this war should have been so clearly stated as to have made it impossible to change them, and that, had this been done, the objects which actuated us would now be attainable by negotiation. I have seen and endured the sufferings of the troops, and I can no longer be a party to prolong these sufferings for ends which I believe to be evil and unjust. I am not protesting against the conduct of the war, but against the political errors and insincerities for which the fighting men are being sacrificed. On behalf of those who are suffering now I make this protest against the deception which is being practiced on them; also I believe that I may help to destroy the callous complacency with which the majority of those at home regard the contrivance of agonies which they do not, and which they have not sufficient imagination to realize.

No comments: